The ideals Sombath has worked for, including a more humane, sustainable and equitable approach to development, as well as a respect for the earth and the rich cultural heritage that has nourished Lao people for centuries, are also in jeopardy.
So, please, get involved!
1. Direct Pressure: While many Lao government authorities hope the questions will fade, they should be made louder and more urgent. Enforced disappearances, including those of Sombath and others must stop, as should the many other human rights violations that continue.
1.1 Write directly to Lao leaders, including the Prime Minister, the Minister of Public Security, or the Minister of Foreign Affairs, such as in this Urgent Action from Amnesty International:
Points to consider::
- Express your concern for Sombath’s safety, and appeal to the Lao government to do all that is possible to ensure his safe return or a timely resolution to the case.
- Emphasize the good work Sombath has done for his country, as an educator, a community development worker and a peace practitioner.
- Note the relationship between economic development and human rights. A modern country is one that respects the rights of all citizens.
- Indicate that the continued disappearance of a well-known and highly-respected person like Sombath is affecting the international image of Laos, with possible consequences for investment, tourism, and foreign aid.
- Make full use of the information on this website. Copy the text or photos (with appropriate citations) and share the links.
2. Indirect Pressure: As can be seen from the Global Concern page, support from around the world has been remarkable and sustained. The Lao government or those supporting it cannot be allowed to return to “business as usual.”
3. Join a Campaign or Contribute: Numerous human rights organizations and initiatives have taken up the cause of Sombath and related issues:
3.2 Like the Find Sombat Somphone page at Facebook and spread the word to your friends by liking and sharing the posts:
Or fax these to the Lao Embassy in your country!
You can make a difference!